[Nut-upsdev] Experimenting with Git and GitHub

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sun Jul 17 13:25:29 UTC 2011

This is by no means official yet, but I put together a
proof-of-concept svn-to-git conversion of the NUT source tree:

   https://github.com/clepple/nut

If you are interested in experimenting with the repository, feel free
to clone it, but if we identify any problems with the Git import from
SVN, be forewarned that I might blow away this repository and start
over. In particular, I guessed at some of the preferred email
addresses committers (based on the svn2cl.authors file), so yell if
there are any corrections.

I added a few of the most recent SVN branches and tags to the GitHub
repository. They are all present in the local git-svn clone on my
machine, but some of the branches are from very early on, and don't
need to clutter up the branch listing. Let me know if I missed
anything important. Worst case, we can compensate for the lack of
proper merge support in SVN by merging those branches into the Git
repository later.

Due to slight differences in the way that Git and SVN represent tags,
I tagged the Git commit which immediately precedes each SVN tag. This
allows for easy identification of when a given commit was released.
For instance, if someone wants to know when support for "Mustek Yukai
PowerMust 1000" was added (SVN r2900), you could search for that text
in gitk, and see that it is between tags v2.6.0 and v2.6.1 (meaning
that 2.6.1 was the first supported release).

Some of the power of GitHub isn't obvious until you see a project
which has several active "forks" (git clones which are also stored on
GitHub). The BuildBot network is IMHO a good example:

   https://github.com/buildbot/buildbot/network

Thoughts? Rants?

--
- Charles Lepple