[Nut-upsdev] Changes to upscli_connect (and general discovery)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Jun 30 02:14:46 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 4:13 PM, Arjen de Korte <nut+devel at de-korte.org> wrote:
>> as for the compat, IIRC Fred proposed a a new _tryconnect() method, upon
>> which the standard _connect() would be mapped, with no behavior change.
>
> It is still unclear to me what we're trying to accomplish here, since
> auto-configuration is never going to work in environments where it is most
> needed (multi-UPS).

I'm not saying it's a great use case, but if you have descriptive
names in ups.conf, and those names are advertised over mDNS/SD, a GUI
could present a partial list of hosts running upsd. It's not complete
auto-configuration, but it's a way to avoid scanning a wide array of
hosts.

--
- Charles Lepple