[Nut-upsdev] Fix broken systemd integration in the build system

Michal Hlavinka mhlavink at redhat.com
Wed Apr 11 13:51:48 UTC 2012

On 04/10/2012 10:52 PM, Arnaud Quette wrote:
> Hi Michal,
>
> I'm finally back on systemd integration with NUT.
> I've cc'ed Stanislav, since I've heard Suse is moving to systemd too.
>
> I've been investigation on your systemd integration in the tree, found a
> strange integration and understood why.
> I've fixed this with 2 commits:
> - r3528: only generate .in from configure, thus removing this annoying
> autoreconf msg
> - r3529: which you will want to revert for now, since it removes the
> hardcoded paths... see below.
>
> so all this lead my again to an incomplete effort on my side: the NUT
> Packaging Standard.
> here, upsd and upsmon are installed in /usr/bin, while upsdrvctl and
> drivers are in /sbin.

This is no longer true for Fedora. Since Fedora 17, there is no /bin nor
/sbin now. Everything got moved to /usr/(s)bin. They are symlinks to
/usr... for now.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UsrMove

Don't ask me why they did it, I don't know it either.
They tried to explain it in
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/TheCaseForTheUsrMerge
http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/separate-usr-is-broken
but I'm not convinced.

> thus you can't use configure pattern substitution (@SBINDIR@) to remove
> hard coded paths in template files.
>
> so for now, once 2.6.4 is out, just revert r3529.
> I'll then relaunch this NPS effort, for 2.8 series, and we'll have rooms
> to discuss all these packaging things.
>
> on a separate topic, we will also (Stan, you and I) have to discuss
> systemd and halt hook.

what do you mean exactly?

> You (Michal) may want to revive the thread you told me, including
> -upsdev list this time.

My memory is failing, I don't know what thread you mean?

Cheers
Michal