[Nut-upsdev] HCL HP R5000 supported by bcmxcp

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 16:38:17 UTC 2012

Hi Peter,

sorry for the lag in answering... crowded week.

One thing bothers me. I don't see parameters like "battery.runtime.low"
> here. How will the UPS notice the NUT that it is running critically low? Or
> better said, when will it do that?
>
> With APC, there is such parameter, default set to 120 seconds. As I
> understand, when battery goes critically low (2 minutes before getting
> fully discharged), it sends "battery critical" to the NUT server, and the
> NUT sends "shutdown" command to clients.

that's it.

However with the HP, either R5000 or R5500, there is no such parameter, and
> I even didn't find it in web interface settings. There is quite opposite
> setting possible (custom): how many seconds AFTER the UPS goes battery,
> should it switch off. This is quite illogical, though.

a fallback option is to use upssched:
http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/user-manual.chunked/ar01s07.html#_the_advanced_approach_using_upssched

If you, for example, have 10 mn of runtime, and need 2 mn to shutdown the
system, then you would declare a (max) 8 mn timer when switching on battery.

So, I'm afraid a bit doing UPS fullscale test because I don't know, whether
> servers will have enough time to shutdown before UPS switches itself off. I
> know I will face it in future, however need more info now.

your remarks are valid!
I entered the round lately on this driver, following Eaton acquisition of
MGE OPS.
The thing is that, since that time, the various redundant Eaton protocols
coming from Eaton or MGE (Ie serial XCP Vs SHUT, USB XCP Vs USB/HID, ...)
have seen some decision: XCP has been superseded by SHUT and HID.
My main focus has so gone to these, though I've also been putting some
efforts to improve the XCP driver.

So, mge-shut and usbhid-ups (Eaton and derivative products) provide support
for lot more data and features.
battery.runtime.low is for example supported.
And R5000 is supported by usbhid-ups through the USB port.

Otherwise, there are still planned improvement for XCP (and a lot around
configuration).
The best would be a driver rewrite, but I've currently not enough resources
to staff one on this.
But I think I've identified what should be mapped battery.runtime.low.
So I you really want to go the XCP way, let me know and I'll check what I
can do.
One thing that may help is to tell HP that you want a better NUT support...

I hope this will shed some light on this, and provide you at least a
suitable solution.

cheers,
Linux / Unix Expert R&D - Eaton - http://powerquality.eaton.com