[Nut-upsdev] nut_clock_* UT review

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 10:39:04 UTC 2012

2012/11/9 <VaclavKrpec at eaton.com>

> Hello gentlemen,

Hi Vasek,

I'm moving the thread to -upsdev, since it has not to be private...

please note that revisions 3771 and 3772 conclude nut_clock_*
> development (including UTs):

interestingly enough, we were talking about that 5 mn ago with Emilien ;)
my conclusion was that nut_clock devs were completed with 3772, and only
the QRT side was remaining.
but that last requires:
1) that I provide you with a procedure to setup QRT (and this requires me
to push a fix upstream to Ubuntu)
2) that we have a jail mechanism to execute QRT, including system clock
changes to not impact negatively the buildbot system.

thus, postponed for now.

> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/nut?view=revision&revision=3771
> http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/nut?view=revision&revision=3772
>
> Please review the code.
> Note the RTC UT on Solaris; it uses perl -e 'print time;' as the external
> RTC authority, because date +%s is not implemented on Solaris :-(

yep, that was my only question from a preliminary review ;)
but I recall, in the meantime, the solaris situation: either gnu date
(coreutils) or "perl print" to get "%s"...

I've installed gnu coreutils, including date. It's available in
/usr/local/bin.
I've also modified the buildslave init script to first use this directory.
thus, you should now be able to use the same "time authority" everywhere...

I've just forced a build on 3772 to check the new PATH...

We might want to discuss whether such dependency on Perl is wise
> on Solaris; perhaps do a (configure) detection & skip the test
> if Perl isn't installed...

well, that would not be a real problem since we already have a few Perl /
Python requirements for our buildslaves and developers systems. And Perl,
as a dependency, is not that exotic ;)

> Any questions, comments, recommendations etc welcome, as usual.

I'll start the review and post back.
Thanks for your hard work Vasek!

cheers,
Linux / Unix / Opensource Engineering Expert - Eaton -
http://opensource.eaton.com
Network UPS Tools (NUT) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org
Free Software Developer - http://arnaud.quette.fr