[Nut-upsdev] NUT Bugs #313634 & #313714: unification & encapsulation of timer proposition

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 19:30:04 UTC 2012

2012/9/27 <VaclavKrpec at eaton.com>

> Hello everybody,

Hi Vaclav

> I'm working on the "Use difftime for time comparison" bug (#313634).
> Charles directed me to the other one "Use monotonic clock for monitoring"
> attended to by Baruch; I believe that's very good idea, however I'd use a
> bit
> more encapsulated & general approach:
>
> 1/ I'd create an opaque timer type and its get/set/cmp/inc/dec etc
> interface
> under common
> 2/ implementation of the interface would use the monotonic clock if
> available
> (the clock_*time on Linux, potentially other monotonic clock impl. on other
> systems) and time_t as a fallback
> 3/ when implemented, use of the timer shall be spread throughout the code,
> replacing direct use of time_t
>
> What do you think?
> I'm also a bit reluptant to do such a change in scope of the bugfix; I'd
> create
> a new feature req. for that, OK?
>
> Any comments/ suggestions welcome,

for now, Baruch's implementation seems simple and good enough.
your approach is nice (OO) but I'd like to retain this a bit more, and map
it with a more general OO/c++ discussions, later...
there are still some "time()" occurences left, here and there
(clients/upsmon.c for ex.).

I'd however like to see how it compiles, and behaves on our buildslaves.
so working on your branch, and forcing compilation is the way to go.

P.S: already managed to post this from another address by mistake, so please
> just discard the previous e-mail (or this one, depending on which you've
> read).

I added this address to the accepted senders, as for other team members...

cheers,