[Nut-upsdev] revisiting #613643 - Should include/nut_version.h be removed from nut_2.4.3.orig.tar.gz?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 15:55:21 UTC 2013

On Feb 15, 2013, at 3:14 PM, Regid Ichira wrote:

> --- On Tue, 2/12/13, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Regid,
>>
>> You suggested we remove nut_version.h from the .orig.tar.gz
>> for NUT:
>>
>> <http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=613643>
>>

>> The original intent was that nut_version.h would be
>> generated from "make dist" (or "make distcheck*") when the
>> official nut-X.Y.Z.tar.gz tarball is created. At that point,
>> it is safe to assume that there is no longer any local
>> version control information (originally SVN, now Git) to
>> determine what to put in nut_version.h.
>>
>> How would you recommend that we handle keeping this file
>> such that we do not trigger a warning in dpkg-source?
>

>  I can't tell.  I am not familiar with the user interface, nor
> with the internals, of Debian packaging to say how to do that, or
> even if it is doable.  I tried to read the manual page of
> dpkg-source.  It does seem to have tools to handle this case.
> But, as I wrote, someone more knowledgeable might be able to
> interpret it much better.

Let's step back a bit. Is the warning a big deal for a Debian package, or can we just add one of those lintian overrides for it?

>> We could patch around this (currently, NUT build from a
>> tarball with Git installed yields a version like
>> "2.6.5-Unversioned directory"), but I think the easiest way
>> is to just leave nut_version.h in the tarball.
>>

>  Pergaps you should patch it in this way, or use more then one
> file, or something similar?  I do get the impression that
> currently, the version file is meant for a developer and for the
> distributer.  While you also require the user, the one that just
> build the package from source, mess with it.  Perhaps there should
> be upsnetworktools.org_ver, distributer_ver, developer_ver, Where
> the developer_ver, if set, overrides the distributer_ver, which,
> if set, overrides the upsnetworktools.org_ver?

Honestly, I was trying to do something simple, such that someone building from a tarball doesn't need to mess with anything (since nut_version.h would be created during "make dist").

The idea for a developer is that nut_version.h would automatically capture the current commit state without them needing to edit anything, either.

A distributor could easily edit the version in configure.in, and it would be somewhat orthogonal to the commit-based version information (although concatenated together).

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail