[Nut-upsdev] Issue with apcupsd-ups?

Horia Georgescu hgeorgescu at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 24 04:10:39 UTC 2014

Hello;I just came across NUT, testing FreeNAS/FreeBSD. I’m running at home a APC UPS connected to another computer, running apcupsd.
I found out that NUT didn't talk by default to apcupsd, and there was a driver created relatively recently (apcupsd-ups), which filled in that gap.
The version I found on my FreeBSD/FreeNAS system seems to imply that there is more to come to that driver (0.04)
[root at freenas] ~#   /usr/local/libexec/nut/apcupsd-upsNetwork UPS Tools - apcupsd network client UPS driver 0.04 (2.7.1)
On the other hand, the man page, suggests the driver is fully functional:http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/apcupsd-ups.html
I tried to configure it on FreeNAS to talk to the UPS master (running apcupsd) and I cannot make it work. (I have other machines running apcupsd in slave mode, and those work just fine).
On FreeNAS I keep getting this error, no matter what I did with the configuration files. Here is an example:[root at freenas] ~# upsc apcupsdError: Connection failure: Connection refused
Can someone actually clarify how NUT is supposed to be configured in the very specific case of a slave (apcupsd netclient), what configuration files (which directories – /etc , /usr/local/… are used, and what should be the content of each configuration file.
If this particular software component and setup are not working, actually, please advise – and I’ll abandon the idea.
Thank you for your time.
Horia Georgescu,Toronto