[Nut-upsdev] Have you had NUT woking on CentOS 6.5 for a USB UPS ?

oVirtNut oVirtNut at goproject.info
Thu Aug 28 03:49:51 UTC 2014

    Hi,

Is anyone running NUT on CentOS 6.5 for a USB connection from a UPS ?

The reason I ask is that I have not been able to achieve this by EPEL
repository packages, nor by downloading and building from the NUT
source http://www.networkupstools.org/source/2.7/nut-2.7.2.tar.gz

I have been unable to get Debian NUT packages to work with my Eaton E5
USB UPS, however I have been successful when downloading and building
from the NUT source
(http://www.networkupstools.org/source/2.7/nut-2.7.2.tar.gz).  To my
knowledge there is currently no EPEL repository packages for CentOS
7.  However the USB UPS is recognised when downloading and building
from the NUT source
(http://www.networkupstools.org/source/2.7/nut-2.7.2.tar.gz).

I read on the internet someone saying that the packaged version of NUT
do not work with USB UPS devices, and also that NUT did not work on
the CentOS 6.x kernel. While this could be true, I do doubt if this is
correct.  I believe the problems people have been having is due to
incorrect permissions/configuration of
Even though NUT is quite simple to install, I have made mistakes when
creating user accounts and with setting udev and USB permissions,
probably because I am quite new to NUT.

http://www.networkupstools.org/docs/man/usbhid-ups.html

This driver is not built by default. You can build it by using
"configure --with-usb=yes". Note that it will also install other USB
drivers.

You also need to install manually the legacy hotplug files (libhidups
and libhid.usermap, generally in /etc/hotplug/usb/), or the udev file
(nut-usbups.rules, generally in /etc/udev/rules.d/) to address the
permission settings problem. For more information, refer to the README
file in nut/scripts/hotplug or nut/scripts/udev.

On Linux with MGE equipment, you will need at least a 2.4.25 or 2.6.2
kernel as well as libusb-0.1.8 or later to disable hiddev support and
avoid conflict.

I will post back when I have had opportunity to do further reading,
and then testing.