[Nut-upsdev] Question on support for Upsonic Commercial UPS CXR 2000 - 2000VA/1200W - Rack/Tower on Freebsd 9.1.

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Feb 4 02:39:58 UTC 2014

On Feb 3, 2014, at 9:05 PM, Chris Duffy wrote:

> Thx for the info Charles.
>
> Here is what I am seeing from
> 'usbconfig list'
[...]
> ugen1.3: <USB UPS PPC> at usbus1, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=LOW (1.5Mbps) pwr=ON
>

> The last line I guess is key.

Unfortunately, it is not very unique: the vendor can pick the string "USB UPS PPC", but the drivers match on the numeric IDs. Try 'usbconfig -d ugen1.3 dump_device_desc'

> I did try all the diff combinations from the chart below
> to no avail.....

"no avail" is not one of our error messages... I just checked :-)

What was the error message from blazer_usb?

> and they are using a USB cable/port.....

see below.

> Thx for any leads.
>
> Chris
>

> On 1/31/14, 6:17 PM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>> On Jan 31, 2014, at 3:14 PM, Chris Duffy wrote:
>>
>>> The current one I am looking is support for:
>>>
>>> Upsonic Commercial UPS CXR 2000 - 2000VA/1200W - Rack/Tower
>>>
>>> What seems to be supported in Freebsd is:
>>
>> Small clarification: the hardware compatibility list isn't broken down by operating system (theoretically, the drivers should work on any POSIX system, with additional dependencies for USB).
>>

>>> CXR1000
>>> blazer_ser
>>> LAN Saver 600
>>> genericups upstype=0
>>> Power Guardian
>>> genericups upstype=7
>>> PrOffice 650
>>> USB	blazer_usb
>>> DS-800
>>> USB	blazer_usb
>>>
>>> we tried these but not much luck according to my customer.
>>> Has anyone got this one to work on Freebsd and
>>> what is needed for the config?
>>
>> In general, permissions on device nodes aren't set up automatically in FreeBSD. In particular, the USB nodes aren't writable by the default system username for NUT (uucp), so you probably will need to make a change to devd.conf.

Given the usbconfig output above, you will either need to run the driver as root ("-u root" on the command line) or change the permissions ("chown uucp /dev/usb/1.3.*"). The /dev filesystem is volatile, so this will reset itself on the next boot.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail