[Nut-upsdev] How to treat UPS status of TRIM as on line

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Jan 11 17:29:04 UTC 2014

On Jan 10, 2014, at 12:58 PM, Elliot Dierksen wrote:

> I am using NUT 2.6.5 as part of FreeNAS 9.2.0. I am using an APC Smart-UPS
> 5000 RM DL4 with a AP9619 network management card. NUT properly detects
> when the UPS goes on battery and initiates a shutdown after the configured
> time. The problem I have is that I am using a 208V unit on a 240V circuit.
> That means the normal state for the UPS is "TRIM". NUT doesn't treat that
> as an on line condition, so the system shuts down every time there is a
> power failure.

I'm confused. When the snmp-ups driver starts, does it immediately see the TRIM state and initiate a shutdown, or does this only happen after going on battery once?

Other SNMP sub-drivers map the "TRIM" status to "OL TRIM", so I suspect the same could be done for the 'apcc' MIB setting.

> I realize what I am doing is a bit of a kludge, but I can't
> get a 208V circuit easily in my house.
>
> I am also getting these messages whenever NUT starts
>
> "[CR-UPS] Warning: excessive poll failures, limiting error reporting"

From a quick look at the code, it's possible that the MIB auto-detection is pushing the error count over the limit. What configuration variables do you have in ups.conf?

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail