[Nut-upsdev] Developing the UPS side of the UPS-NUT equation (via usbhid)

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Thu Mar 6 22:08:49 UTC 2014

Tim,

The UPS will be a PC104 device (www.rtd.com to give you a quick visual of what that is), which means it will actually be physically stacked together with the power supply it is supporting.  So cable length won't be an issue, as it will be communicating through USB in the PCIe bus to the CPU.

Rob

-----Original Message-----
From: Nut-upsdev [mailto:nut-upsdev-bounces+rgroner=rtd.com at lists.alioth.debian.org] On Behalf Of Tim Dawson
Sent: Thursday, March 06, 2014 4:35 PM
To: nut-upsdev at lists.alioth.debian.org
Subject: Re: [Nut-upsdev] Developing the UPS side of the UPS-NUT equation (via usbhid)

Rob -
	Just out of curiosity, will this device also have any network monitoring connectivity, or just USB?  Not sure what market you are targeting, but even as a small business/home compute user, I find that the distance limitations of USB often cause me grief, and myself, I would love to see a network alternative as well . . . Perhaps support for a network dongle on the USB port?  More software, I know, but depending on what's embedded in your UPS, it does eliminate the need for a hardware-centric network implementation . . .

- Tim