[Nut-upsdev] nutdrv_qx and Best Power equipment

hyouko at gmail.com hyouko at gmail.com
Sun Nov 2 01:28:07 UTC 2014

> I finally got a Best Power Patriot Pro II fixed up with a new battery and cable, and tried it with nutdrv_qx (since it uses a variant of the Q1 protocol). It auto-detected the use of Q1.
>
> It looks like things mostly work:

Nice, merging bestups.c into nutdrv_qx has been on my todo list for a
while, let's see how far we can get.

> 1) The bestups driver uses an "ID" command to retrieve the model and rating. I didn't see that exact string in the nutdrv_qx source - would the best place for that be in nutdrv_qx_q1.c, or a new source file? (I don't think there are too many differences with the other Q1 models, but I defer to your opinion on this.)

I'd prefer keeping Q1 as a light fallback subdriver.

Here's a first version:
https://github.com/zykh/nut/tree/bestups

> 3) I don't think the UPS has a serial command for setting the beeper status. (There is a button on the front panel.) At least, bestups.c does not mention it, and neither does the protocol document: http://www.networkupstools.org/protocols/sola.html

Me too, the 'Q' command otherwise used as beeper.toggle, here is used
as an alternative version of 'Q1': removed it from the subdriver.

> Also, if you would like, I can generate and send some logs of Q1 responses to integrate into the "#ifdef TESTING" block.

Provided that the subdriver works, I'd like to see, if possible, the logs of:
- driver startup
- a command that succeeds
- a command that fails
- q1 when online and all's ok
- q1 on battery
- setting pins_shutdown_mode

Also, I'd like to know whether the 'C' command (shutdown.stop) works
also as a load.on like in other megatec implementations or not and if
the 'SnR0000' command (shutdown.stayoff) has any effect on the UPS, as
they are not in the specs ('C' is only described as a shutdown.stop).