[Nut-upsdev] On ups.status CHRG/DISCHRG Vs battery.charger.status

Arnaud Quette arnaud.quette at gmail.com
Wed Apr 8 09:18:59 UTC 2015

Hi Charles and the list,

> Hi Charles,

>> On Mar 25, 2015, at 4:11 AM, Arnaud Quette <arnaud.quette at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> > 1) Keep the legacy CHRG / DISCHRG status bits for ups.status, along
>> with the complementary ones for battery.charger.status. And advocate
>> (document) for the use of / switch to the latter, that is more suitable for
>> publishing such information. All that with an impact on all the NUT driver,
>> and a transition period to address that cleanly.
>>
>> I prefer this option, for what it's worth. Let's not make ups.status more
>> cluttered.
>>

> so do I.
> FYI, the patch I committed for ABM use either one or the other.
> I.e., if ABM support is enabled, status are published on
> battery.charger.status and CHRG/DISCHRG are not pushed to ups.status.
> And conversely if ABM is disabled.

For the sake of completion, I've slightly modified the implementation to
provide backward compatibility.

So, now:
- when ABM is enabled, we both publish the following as per the ABM
information:
    * the 5 status bits {charging, discharging, floating, resting, off)
under battery.charger.status
    * the 2 historical status bits {CHRG, DISCHRG} under ups.status
- when ABM is disabled, we just publish the 2 historical status bits {CHRG,
DISCHRG} under ups.status, as per UPS.PowerSummary.PresentStatus.{Charging
,Discharging}, as done previously.

I will complete the implementation and related code documentation notes
over the day.
I also plan to create a specific user documentation related to that.

cheers,
Arno
--
Eaton Data Center Automation - Opensource Leader
NUT (Network UPS Tools) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org