[Nut-upsdev] [Nut-upsuser] Nut-2.7.3 & gcc-3.3.6

Arnaud Quette arnaud.quette at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 09:19:37 UTC 2015

> Dear developers,
>
> libnutclient has been added as a C++ alternative to libupsclient in 2.7.1.
> As a result I can't compile nut 2.7.3 with gcc-3.3.6. There wasn't such a
> problem with nut-2.6.5.
>
> Is it possible to add a configuration parameter like
> '-without-libnutclient' to provide better compatibility with older gcc
> versions please (since libnutclient is an alternative to libupsclient)?
> Or maybe use C instead of C++ for libnutclient?
>
> Unfortunately, is not that easy to upgrade glibc in an embedded system.
>
> Thank you,
> Sergey

Hello Sergey

thanks for your mail.
I'm adding explicitly Emilien, who may have some additional comments...

I got some complementary questions, to ensure we bring a suitable solution
to your issue:

- which exact system are you running?
- which version of glibc?
- you said that stl is present. Do you have actually the "libstdc++-dev"
(Debian like) equivalent package / files installed for glibc.
I.e, is there something under /usr/include/c++/3.3.6 and / or
/usr/include/c++/3.3

For the sake of completion, libnutclient is more a developer oriented lib,
more high level and easier to use, and C++ / C usable.
While libupsclient is just the historic internal lib that I once exported
to create the first external NUT client (wmnut, back in 2001) and later
more 3rd party ones...

thanks and cheers,
Arno
--
Eaton Data Center Automation - Opensource Leader
NUT (Network UPS Tools) Project Leader - http://www.networkupstools.org