[Nut-upsdev] UPS commands

Rob Groner rgroner at RTD.com
Mon Mar 23 12:25:33 UTC 2015

I'm probably spending WAY too much time on this question, but....

If the goal is just to perform a clean shutdown, and the power might cycle a few more times before coming back completely, then shutdown.stayoff might make more sense. A human could come along and manually power it back on.

...by plugging the PC into a new power source?  Because the UPS outlet would be shut off, so hitting the power button on the PC won't do anything.  I'm not aware of buttons on a UPS that tells it to turn its outlet back on, but then my own UPSes have always been fairly dumb power units.  Perhaps the newer smarter ones allow for easy turning on and off of the outlet via physical console?  In that case, I can see the usefulness of .stayoff.

I suspect a lot of people who want to maximize uptime would want the UPS to wait a bit for the battery to charge ("battery.charge.restart" -> "Minimum battery level for UPS restart after power-off") before powering the load back on.

Ah, that's a good idea.  Something new to implement today!

Sincerely,
Rob Groner

Software Engineer
RTD Embedded Technologies, Inc.