[Nut-upsdev] lost communication with UPS

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 23:46:56 UTC 2015

On Nov 21, 2015, at 10:36 AM, john hart <jsamcr at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Greetings.  I have been using NUT for some time now and have not had any issues until yesterday.  I was trying to get my NOTIFYCMD script working and was making modifications to upsmon.conf .  After making the mod to upsmon.conf I invoked upsmon -c reload and a few minutes later the system shut down.  There was a loss of communications with the UPS.  I have an Asium P700 UPS and use the blazer_usb driver.
> Was this loss of communication something that "just happens sometimes" , is it a potential issue with the blazer_usb driver, or was it due to my reloading upsmon?

Please be more specific about "loss of communication". There are three key connections: upsmon-to-upsd, upsd-to-driver, and driver-to-UPS.

If upsmon loses the connection to upsd, or the driver loses the connection to the UPS, upsmon should not shut down unless the last status message received was "OB".

> As I said, thanks to all the help I received from Charles Lepple, I was able to get this UPS working, and it has worked fine for many months. I know that there is, or will be, an updated driver to replace the blazer_usb driver but I am somewhat dependent on updates as provided from the Debian repositories.  I am running Wheezy 7.9 and am NOT a programmer so I am not comfortable with the idea of downloading source code and compiling it.  Don't really want to upgrade to Debian Jessie as there are older packages that I use that are not available in Jessie, and I don't like mixing packages across distributions.

Not upgrading will limit the scope of any fixes we can provide.

> I have previously sent my nut configuration files but will be happy to do so again if requested.

Please resend them, minus any passwords.

Also, from the last email thread: "Another thing: we recently discovered that some Yahoo anti-spam measures result in mass unsubscription of non-Yahoo email users of these lists [this happens after a number of Yahoo emails are received in a certain time window]. Please consider submitting future information from a non-Yahoo email address, or create an issue on the NUT Github project: https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues "

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail