[Nut-upsdev] Tripp-Lite SMART1500LCDT

Marco Walther marco at sonic.net
Fri Aug 5 22:03:43 UTC 2016

On 08/05/2016 01:36 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Aug 2016, Marco Walther wrote:
>
>> On 08/03/2016 05:25 AM, Stuart Gathman wrote:
>>>  I've made some progress getting this Tripplite to work:
>>>  http://gathman.org/2016/07/30/Standard_Schmandard/
>>>
>>>  Basically, plug it into a USB hub that actually implements USB2.0,
>>> then
>>>  power cycle the port when it hangs.  It does seem to be a hardware
>>>  problem with the USB controller.
>> Finally an idea;-) I had the same problem for a couple of years but
>> since I use a [1st gen] appleTV as the server, I thought it might be
>> it's USB port.
>>
>> I bought a `plugable USB2-HUB-AG7' and experimented a bit. So far, I
>> did not get it to turn the power to devices completely off:-( But the
>> unbind/bind seems affect the devices somehow. I tried it with a
>> little Sparkfun RedBoard (Arduino clone) and when I [re]bind, the
>> RX/TX LEDs flash shortly, so it seems to reinitialize it's USB-Serial
>> chip. Maybe that's enough?
>>
>> The same TX/RX LED flashing happens with the hub-ctrl power off->on;-)
>>
>> OK, the USB hub is now installed between the aTV & USP ;-) Let's see
>> what happens next.
>
> I also bought a USB2-HUB-AG7, but the new black version (of the *same*
> model# - arrrrgggghhhh) no longer implements PPPS.  Only the old silver
> version does.  What is the point of a model# if you can't count on the
> functionality?

Mine even says v1 on the type sticker:-( but it's black as well. So I'll
see how things behave once I loose the UPS connection and do a `hub-ctrl
power off->on'. I'm not really interested in the power off, just in the
reset;-)

If that does not work, I'll probably try a Arduino-based power-switch
cable. Since it now looks like it's really the UPS, I can actually think
about different ways.

Thanks,

-- Marco