[Nut-upsdev] Tripp-Lite SMART1500LCDT

Marco Walther marco at sonic.net
Sun Aug 7 05:00:52 UTC 2016

On 08/05/2016 03:03 PM, Marco Walther wrote:
> On 08/05/2016 01:36 PM, Stuart D. Gathman wrote:

>>> Finally an idea;-) I had the same problem for a couple of years but
>>> since I use a [1st gen] appleTV as the server, I thought it might be
>>> it's USB port.
>>>
>>> I bought a `plugable USB2-HUB-AG7' and experimented a bit. So far, I
>>> did not get it to turn the power to devices completely off:-( But
>>> the unbind/bind seems affect the devices somehow. I tried it with a
>>> little Sparkfun RedBoard (Arduino clone) and when I [re]bind, the
>>> RX/TX LEDs flash shortly, so it seems to reinitialize it's
>>> USB-Serial chip. Maybe that's enough?
>>>
>>> The same TX/RX LED flashing happens with the hub-ctrl power off->on;-)
>>>
>>> OK, the USB hub is now installed between the aTV & USP ;-) Let's see
>>> what happens next.
>>
>> I also bought a USB2-HUB-AG7, but the new black version (of the *same*
>> model# - arrrrgggghhhh) no longer implements PPPS.  Only the old silver
>> version does.  What is the point of a model# if you can't count on the
>> functionality?
>>
> Mine even says v1 on the type sticker:-( but it's black as well. So
> I'll see how things behave once I loose the UPS connection and do a
> `hub-ctrl power off->on'. I'm not really interested in the power off,
> just in the reset;-)
OK, that did not work:-( Neither the `hub-ctrl power off->on' nor the
unbind->bind of the hub did reset the USB connection enough that the OS
would see the UPS again:-(

Stuart, did you  find an USB hub which can actually switch the power?
Otherwise, I'll probably go down the road of creating an Arduino-based
power-switch at least as test setup.

Thanks,
-- Marco