[Nut-upsdev] updating the NUT website

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Jun 9 03:07:48 UTC 2016

On Jun 8, 2016, at 7:47 PM, hyouko at gmail.com wrote:

>> However, this was not an error I was expecting to see when rebuilding:
>>
>>   http://buildbot.networkupstools.org/public/nut/builders/Debian-website/builds/55/steps/shell/logs/stdio
>>   [...]
>>   Makefile:796: *** target pattern contains no '%'.  Stop.
>>
>> Any ideas?
>
> I think we don't support colons in names of files and dirs:
> - https://github.com/networkupstools/nut-ddl/commit/3a68bbdfc6e3274aad027707d71f8a77fdbaa12d
> - https://github.com/networkupstools/nut-ddl/commit/3861afc614490f2a626059514b47011c754bd27c
>
> Tomorrow (now I can't keep my eyes open) I'll address that: we can
> either add colons to the list of unsupported characters (
> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut-ddl#a-message-to-you-rudy ) and
> rename those 2 files, or try to escape them - preferences?

I went ahead and renamed them. Colons really don't belong in filenames. Even though the files were named based on the model strings from SNMP, I think they are more of an outlet description than part of the model name.

I will try to remember to update the list of unsupported characters.

>> Also, what do I do afterwards to push to GitHub?
>
> I think that it should be enough to rsync (deleting files not present
> in source dir from destination dir, but excluding '/.git/', '/CNAME',
> '/source/' and '/package/') the generated 'output' directory to the
> dir coupled with 'networkupstools.github.io' repository, go to that
> dir, git add/commit, then push to GitHub.

Hmm, I will have to look at some of the dependencies - the "Last updated" dates aren't getting modified. (I am just doing a "make" (all) rather than "make dist" since I don't have a new NUT tarball or the GPG key.)

> Tangentially, I still think that we should move 'source' and 'package'
> dirs to their own repositories and add them as submodules of
> 'nut-website', then we will not need to ignore those two dirs and we
> should be able to generate indices for them and further automate the
> release process, something like this:
> https://github.com/zykh/nut-website/tree/source-package (with 'source'
> and 'package' added as dirs/submodules).

I like the looks of the source-package branch. I don't think I have enough experience with submodules to say what I would prefer, so I'll leave that up to you. Let me know if you'd like help with anything else.

--
Charles Lepple
clepple at gmail