[Nut-upsdev] Proposed new documentation "Configuration Examples"

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Fri Jun 9 14:16:50 UTC 2017

Most of the questions asked in the nut-user mailing list seem to me to be
either erudite technical discussion of new and exotic UPS units, or n00b
questions of the style "I have this old UPS so I installed NUT but it
didn't work".

NUT is thoroughly documented with man pages and User Manual, but from my
own experience it is not easy for Joe N00b to know what a working setup
should look like in his case.

To address this, I propose a "NUT configuration for Noobs" which is called
"Configuration Examples".  A 27 page PDF file formatted to be read on a 17
inch or bigger monitor using for example muPDF or evince.  It could be
printed, but fewer people have printers these days.

The configurations are:

1. Simple server with no local users
2. Workstation with local users (solves the wall problem)
3. Workstations share a UPS
4. Workstation with a heartbeat
5. Workstation with timed shutdown
6. Workstation with additional equipment

The first version is at http://rogerprice.org/NUT/ConfigExamples.pdf
Before I announce this in the nut-user mailing list, any comments,
especially on the choice of configurations, are very welcome.

Roger