[Nut-upsdev] Proposed new documentation "Configuration Examples"

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed Jun 21 09:40:32 UTC 2017

On June 21, 2017 11:03:00 AM GMT+02:00, Roger Price <roger at rogerprice.org> wrote:
>On Tue, 13 Jun 2017, Charles Lepple wrote:
>
>> On Jun 9, 2017, at 10:16 AM, Roger Price wrote:
>>> To address this, I propose a "NUT configuration for Noobs" which is
>>> called "Configuration Examples".
>
>> I am also curious whether you tried to edit any of the existing NUT
>> documentation before creating a new document. We chose AsciiDoc in
>part
>> because it should not be as much of a burden as other markup formats
>> read or write, and because it offers several output formats. If it
>turns
>> out to be a deterrent to contributions, that is something we should
>> address. I am concerned about the maintainability of several
>documents
>> going forward, and I (selfishly, perhaps) would appreciate more help
>on
>> the core NUT documentation. Your thoughts on this would be
>appreciated.
>
>Yes, I have used AsciiDoc as part of my failed attempt to add SIGUSR1/2
>NUT. That was my second patch.
>https://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/nut-upsdev/2016-July/007204.html
>
>I generated PDF, HTML, and groff man pages.  I should explain that in
>my
>past I have done a lot of markup in pre-SGML languages such as groff,
>SGML
>and it's sub-languages such as HTML, and hundreds of pages of
>mathematics
>and technical stuff in LaTeX.  I was, for my sins, a member of the SGML
>
>working group in the ISO, and editor of the International Standard
>behind
>HTML.  I can markup quickly and accurately, and I find WYSIWYG tools a
>pain and a frustration.
>
>I intended the Configuration Examples as a personal contribution,
>rather
>than core documentation, so I didn't consider the need for an agreed
>team documentation technique.  My only concern was for readily
>available
>tools and LaTeX for me fits the bill.
>
>I think that maintenance of the core NUT documentation is a separate
>subject.
>
>> I agree that printers are becoming less and less common. However, I
>am
>> not sure that a two-column format with little space and no rule
>between
>> the columns is the best choice for screen display. Many PDF viewers
>can
>> display two pages side-by-side, and will do so with a dark border
>around
>> each page. There is probably a middle ground between these dimensions
>
>> and the ones used in the AsciiDoc-generated PDFs.
>
>My choice of A4 landscape with 2 pages per sheet was not very reader
>friendly.  I have generated a second format: A5 with one page per sheet
>in
>portrait mode.  My PDF viewer is happy to put two pages side by side.
>This is probably the best choice.

> [...]

Regarding systemd, there are many valid paths, applied in order of preference (rising from distro to system-local). It may be worded better in official docs, but in short, the /usr/lib/systemd and to an extent /lib/systemd trees can be considered distro(package) and core-systemd defaults. The /etc/systemd lists activated services and system-local customizations or overrides, if any. Finally /run/systemd has some runtime-local services or links, that are valid until reboot and must be re-instantiated after boot. Something like that ;)

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android