[Nut-upsdev] NUT namespace: RFC for new variable addition

Jim Klimov jimklimov at cos.ru
Wed May 24 11:56:42 UTC 2017

On May 24, 2017 1:08:09 PM GMT+02:00, Charles Lepple <clepple at gmail.com> wrote:
>On May 24, 2017, at 5:11 AM, Arnaud Quette <arnaud.quette at gmail.com>
>wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> here is another one, related to ATS (automatic transfer switch) this
>time.
>>
>> in order to track "dephasing" between input sources (1 and 2), I'd
>like to add a new variable: "input.phase.shift"
>>

>> Details and implementation can be found on:
>> https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/433
>>
>> Comments and feedback warmly welcome.
>
>I don't think "dephasing" is common usage, but "phase shift" should
>suffice.
>
>Also, how does this apply to 3-phase systems? Is it nominally 120
>degrees?
>
>Strange that this has not come up before.

It was my impression too. However it seems the 'phase shift' usually refers to lag between Amperage and Voltage waves, while this issue is (if I get it correctly) about two separate ATS inputs fluctuating on their own different clock-offsets. Should be same freq (50 or 60) though, or likely assumed so - which might not be guaranteed in real life either ;) On the other hand, if the freqs differ, this reported skew degree will vary over time (if detected and reported honestly)...

Jim
--
Typos courtesy of K-9 Mail on my Redmi Android