[Nut-upsdev] [EXTERNAL] Re: Fixing Drops With SMART1500LCDXL & USB-HID Driver

David Zomaya David_Zomaya at tripplite.com
Wed Jun 19 21:16:02 BST 2019

Thanks for the inputs.

I’ll get CentOS 7.6 installed on a physical machine this week and follow up.

Few responses and notes below in the interim.

”The log format looks okay, but I may not have been clear that I was looking for the log at the same time as when the kernel errors occur. So without the udev rules would be good.”

Ah, sorry. Attached are these two files:

1-      norules.log.gz -Neither 62-nut-usbups.rules or 42-usb-hid-pm.rules at /etc/udev/rules.d/ or /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/. This really just left me with “permission denied”. I assume this is because 62-nut-usbups.rules is needed and #2 is the relevant file.

2-      norule42.log.gz-  62-nut-usbups.rules at /lib/udev/rules.d/ and no “pollinterval = 1” value set in ups.conf. This yielded better results. I also included the output from /var/log/messages, lsusb –v, uname –r, and cat /etc/os-release. In the /var/log/messages output, you can see a few of the drops we are trying to prevent.

“I think you mentioned the CentOS version - which kernel version does that run? ("uname -r" is probably sufficient)”

3.10.0-957.el7.x86_64

“I moved my SMART1500LCDT off of the always-on system, so I don't have continuous data for it. I don't think it worked on Raspbian stretch the last time I tried. Others have rigged up scripts to reset a USB hub to simulate re-plugging the UPS USB connection.”

Ok, if issues come up going forward and I can help, feel free to reach out (same for any new Tripp Lite issues).

“I think that a lot of the content of the protocol docs would end up in the logic of the source code. Trying to write open-source code based on a document that can't be shared seems risky to me.”

That’s fair. I’d like to see us do something to help though. Let me see where this goes internally and follow up.

“I think a range of IDs (even with a few exceptions for the older units) would be sufficient. The ideal scenario is that the range is somewhat future-proof, so a version of NUT from this year can properly identify next year's UPS. If not, we still have manual ways for users to add their idProduct to ups.conf and the udev files, but as you can imagine, that is frustrating for a new user.”

Almost everything we make now is PDC compliant, so we should at least be able to do this. We’re looking into something easy to identify in the output of lsusb –v though since that could help with legacy support.

Note:

Interestingly, I did some tinkering with openSUSE 15.1 Leap on a physical box and saw the same drops there, but was able to get them to stop after installing NUT and just doing the “standard” configuration. However, I ran into some connection refused messages, e.g.:

user at linux-nxmm:/dev/bus> sudo upsc -l

Error: Connection failure: Connection refused

When trying to pull data from the UPS, so I was clearly doing something wrong. But, the UPS stopped dropping (i.e. retained Device # in lsusb and no messages in /var/log/messages) . I did NOT have to make the changes to “42-hd-audio-pm.rules” to make the drops stop in this case. Given the different kernel (4.12.14-lp151.27-default) and newer version of (NUT 2.7.4) this may not be apples to apples though. I hope that I will be able to provide better data once I get to test further later this week. Topically, this has me thinking at the least I need to confirm the reproducibility of the fix I mentioned on a physical box. I will follow up by close of business Friday.

Thank you,

David Zomaya

Tripp Lite

1111 W. 35th Street  |  Chicago, IL 60609 USA