[Nut-upsdev] [EXTERNAL] Fixing Drops With SMART1500LCDXL & USB-HID Driver

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Thu Jun 20 13:46:50 BST 2019

On Jun 19, 2019, at 4:16 PM, David Zomaya wrote:

> Interestingly, I did some tinkering with openSUSE 15.1 Leap on a physical box and saw the same drops there, but was able to get them to stop after installing NUT and just doing the “standard” configuration. However, I ran into some connection refused messages, e.g.:
>
> user at linux-nxmm:/dev/bus> sudo upsc -l
> Error: Connection failure: Connection refused

I keep meaning to put together a diagram to help with this, but in the mean time:

UPS <-- driver <-- upsd <-- clients (upsc, upsmon, NUT Monitor GUI, etc.)

"upsc -l" is making a TCP connection to upsd localhost:3493 (no sudo needed here), so a "Connection refused" is likely due to upsd not running. (If it were over the network, I'd recommend first logging into the master system and running "upsc" there, then check for the LISTEN address in upsd.conf, and any firewalls in between the systems running upsd and upsc.)

You should be able to get it working for testing with a quick "sudo upsd", though it is probably some sort of startup script issue. I do not know exactly how openSUSE's packages interact with their init system- maybe others on the list can help. (A quick search of nut-upsuser indicates that 42.3 is using systemd, so if 15.1 does as well, maybe "systemctl | grep ^nut" will show a unit that just needs to be restarted.)