[Nut-upsdev] Does Cyberpower BR1000ELCD work?

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 17:14:06 GMT 2020

On Dec 28, 2020, at 10:01 AM, Mike Ricketts wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am considering buying a Cyberpower BR1000ELCD UPS.
>
> https://www.cyberpower.com/uk/en/product/series/brics_lcd
>
> It does not appear on the HCL, but other Cyberpower USB models do.
>
> The specs claim it has a HID-compliant USB interface (although who knows how "compliant" that is...)
>
> I've found that https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/552 was opened to add it to the HCL, but it hasn't been added.  Does anyone know if it was not added because it doesn't work, or just that nobody got around to it?

I think that issue is the only information we have on that UPS, so I'd say it just fell through the cracks.

Be sure to check out some of the other issues tagged "CyberPower (CPS)" for background on which stats and settings are expected to work. In particular, some of the transfer voltages might not work as well as in the vendor software, and I don't recall whether these models store those settings in EEPROM (or if the software is responsible for re-applying them). I keep thinking "we should fix these HID-descriptor related bugs" but that's a big job that only fixes things for a few UPSes, and we've had broader tasks like keeping up with libusb changes (0.1 vs 1.0) and getting a release out the door.

https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/labels/CyberPower%20%28CPS%29

The good news is that the OL/OB status is generally not affected by voltage scaling issues.

> If it is thought to work, I'm happy to do whatever testing is needed to get it added to the HCL - just don't want to buy it and then find it is known to not work for some reason.

Nothing too magical about the HCL - since it is best-effort, and vendors can change the innards of an UPS while keeping the name, it can really only be a rough guide. For a single UPS, your best hedge against unexpected incompatibility might be a good return policy. If you are thinking about a larger purchase, I would want to contact a vendor sales rep and mention that you want to use the UPSes with third-party software like NUT, since they often have their own UPS monitoring software, and very few companies do compatibility testing with NUT.