[Nut-upsdev] LibUSB-1.0+0.1 testing wanted, NUT 2.7.5 pending

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:42:51 GMT 2021

Hello fellow NUTs :)

  It seems the magic of the season might just help us finish some long
story arcs and tie up loose ends... oh, wait, that is wording about other
"seasons" ;)

  In our case, the "fightwarn" effort is reaching a major milestone to
finally pass the builds with "medium" level of warnings treated as fatal
errors - with zero warnings. This achievement took a bit over a year, and
almost 3000 commits to analyze and stomp out different small bugs, and it
allows to set that tolerance level as default and insist on non-regressions
with future iterations - as well as to work towards clearing the "hard"
level eventually. And this became one of the criteria for cutting a new
official NUT release (especially as new platforms refused to build release
2.7.4 with their default settings).

  This work has originally delayed merging of libusb-1.0 support (from
issue https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/300 and several
candidate branches to pick from), in particular because with the original
codebase sporting thousands of build warnings, it was hard to notice any
new "offences" introduced by this large set of changes. I was afraid that
merging it would even have to wait until after the next NUT release, but in
the end found that some remaining warnings in the original USB-related NUT
codebase made those branches' changes the better solution.

  Now, before we find the hard way if the cure is worse than the disease, I
would like to ask people with USB-connected UPSes (and also those using the
MGE SHUT protocol) to build and test
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/tree/fightwarn-libusb-1.0+0.1 branch
with their setups - hopefully hitting as many OSes and CPU types as
feasible, as well as trying both libusb-0.1, libusb-1.0 (and not sure about
libusb-0.1-compat).

  For building from scratch, note we now have a list of prerequisite
packages for several platforms at
https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/blob/master/docs/config-prereqs.txt
- and as for other code, PRs there are welcome too.
Note also the new `ci_build.sh` script to automate a number of
configurations and setups, usually reducing the typing needed to reproduce
build attempts :)

  I understand that some people would be away for holidays, but also
realize that for others these days may be among the few times in the year
that can be dedicated to such experiments and other hobbies. It would be
much appreciated if you can help bring the official new confident NUT
release date closer ;)

  The NUT CI farm is busy testing hundreds of build combinations formally
in software, but it is no replacement for tests against actual hardware.

  Also, great thanks to dozens of individual and corporate contributors
adding and fixing NUT drivers and other features (a few are still being
tested and may become part of the new release too), and sharing findings
and ideas in the issue tracker -- you guys and gals are our real heroes!

  Finally, on behalf of the NUT core team, please let me wish you all a
happy holiday season and some quality time to rest, walk, ski and be with
family and friends!

Jim Klimov