[Nut-upsdev] NUT I-D (future RFC): XML encoded responses

Jim Klimov jimklimov at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 18:30:13 GMT 2021

One sort of benefit to XML is indeed a schema (but there are json-schema
efforts out there), so data can be validated, expected, generated... and
commented (unlike standard JSON).

We had some precedent set by integration for XML parsing (with libneon that
is already tied to NUT codebase for older Eaton NetXML devices), in the DMF
branch and more so in 42ity fork, to load data mappings at run-time instead
of precompiling tables into binaries like snmp-ups. Recipes there include
xsd validation of generated mapping files (helping find bugs sometimes).

Not volunteering to create a NutXML protocol, just highlighting
"low-hanging fruit" for implementation.

Jim