[Nut-upsdev] On retiring some terminology

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 23:52:15 GMT 2021

Hello fellow NUTs :)

  Some time ago an issue https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/issues/840
was raised, and with current work underway to publish a standard on NUT
protocol it became more urgent - to retire the master/slave terminology
from NUT configuration and documentation.

  I looked around for suitable synonyms, and for our primary use-case with
upsmon roles - where it either manages an UPS by direct link and tells
others to shut down ASAP, or is one of such shutdown agents being told what
to do, words "manager" and "subordinate" seem neutral enough and reflective
of the activities and relationship of these actors.

  Would native speakers or others better versed in the current dictionary
of acceptable words please confirm if this choice is okay, or suggest
better alternatives?

  The plan is to re-word the README and other documentation, as well as
option names in code (leaving old terms as aliases for the sake of existing
deployments, but otherwise not exposed).

Thanks in advance,
Jim Klimov

PS: While writing this, could not get out of my head an old saying: "You
can call me anything, even a porrige-pot, just don't put me into the oven!"

  There are also a few other instances of the questionable terms which
relate to third parties and will not be addressed at this time - but when
vendor documentation moves on, feel free to post PRs and port their newly
chosen terms to NUT docs.