[Nut-upsdev] NUT v2.8.0(-rc1)

Jim Klimov jimklimov+nut at gmail.com
Fri Apr 1 01:01:22 BST 2022

Hello, fellow NUTs!

  It is with a [happy] heart that I must proclaim today, that the long
reign of NUT v2.7.4 is coming to an end. Its anticipated successor of half
a dozen years, release-in-waiting NUT v2.7.5 has also quietly expired, and
[won't] be sorely missed. They were survived by the next name in line, NUT
v2.8.0(-rc1). Le NUT est mort, long live the NUT!

  Along just this leg of the journey, NUT codebase survived at least four
separate CI farms and technologies to make its builds easier and more
reliable, all while succeeding on a wide range of CPU and OS platforms,
ranging from current distros to the dawn of millenium (nearly-immutable
appliances and sturdy reliable servers matter too!), as well as multiple
generations and implementations of compiler toolkits, "make" and scripted
code interpreters involved.

  We are grateful to the many freely available projects, services and
communities who helped us in particular (maybe unwittingly) and the FOSS
ecosystem in general (intentionally), such as (and not limited to)
Asciidoc, Autotools and family, BuildBot, CCache, Clang/LLVM, FossHost,
GCC, GitHub, Google, illumos, Jenkins, LiberaChat, Proxmox, QEMU,
StackExchange, Travis, ZeroMQ... bits here, swathes there - it would have
been much harder without the likes of them (and many others).

  Advances in compiler code analysis in particular, as is seen on a daily
basis with CI non-regression builds across the range of 10 major releases
of clang and 7 of gcc, is immense. At times annoying, yes, but it led to a
great cleansing of the codebase from questionable code (and indeed some
potential bugs). And it was possible to do so in a way that all those
regularly tested systems are satisfied, so the codebase stays clean and
green and portable as we iterate new contributions, and merged with peace
of mind many ports and features from long-awaited branches (such as
libusb-1.0+0.1 support finally), or forks (notably 42ity/nut).

  Let me take a moment to tender our special thanks from both the
maintainer team and countless users of UPS, ePDU, solar panel and similar
hardware, to numerous personal and corporate contributors of new drivers
and features or fixes for existing ones, as well as to community members
who ask and answer questions, and who log github issues with their ideas,
experiences or grievances.

  As always we would welcome people willing to regularly share their
expertise in certain areas and tools (in particular, thanks @nbriggs for
solving many practical mysteries around USB bit-stream lately), or
protocols (more active experts on prolific Qx family would be great for PR
reviews), or  packaging, service and distro integrations, or HCL/DDL
maintenance based on reports trickling in... just about anything!

  While we have a lot of features queued to complete or port for the next
releases (hopefully with a healthier cadence), we expect to see more
feedback by exposing thevrelease, and hope for little fallout from the many
changes made while cleaning up the warnings.

  Handing over to creative packagers now...

Jim Klimov,
on behalf of the Network UPS Tools Project