[Nut-upsdev] NUT I-D: Unencrypted communication

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Mon Jan 3 12:17:27 GMT 2022

I have received a comment from a embedded Windows XP user, concerned at being
forced to use TLS encrypted communication by low budget "RFC conforming" UPS
units which do not allow unencrypted communication.

Section 4.2.12 STARTTLS says « The client tells the Attachment Daemon (2.1) to
switch to TLS encrypted communication » but does not explicitly say that if the
command STARTTLS is not sent, the Attachment and Management Daemons do not
switch to encrypted communication

https://www.ietf.org/archive/id/draft-rprice-ups-management-protocol-05.html#name-starttls

I propose adding the following sentence to section 4.2.12:

  If the client does not send command STARTTLS to the Attachment Daemon
  communication continues unencrypted.

Roger