[Nut-upsdev] NUT I-D: Minimum command and variable set for conformance

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Mon Jan 3 12:59:02 GMT 2022

On Mon, 3 Jan 2022, Manuel Wolfshant wrote:

>> All comments welcome.  If the list is agreed, I will add the new subsection
>> 9.4 "Recommended Minimum Support" to the I-D
>
> A few comments here
>
> - I have not seen any low- and mid-end UPS that knows about killpower so not
> including it as a requirement is a good idea
>
> - The 3KVA Ablerex that I have handy and which powers since ... a long time
> ago ( I've replaced 3-4 times the batteries, at least ) a small size DC does
> not know about battery.date and since it is connected via a Serial-to-USB
> adapter, I am not sure that it knows about device.serial. It probably does,
> but in lsusb -v I can only see the USB adapter

I was thinking not so much about UPS units which are already in service, but
future (5+ years) offerings.  In such a future "RFC conforming" unit the
manufacturer is completely free to implement the driver and the connector
between UPS and Attachment Daemon any way they want, hopefully in a way which
includes battery date in high end units.

However I agree that current units still being sold in 5+ years which do not
support battery.date may have more difficulty claiming RFC compliance for
unattended servers.

Roger