[Nut-upsdev] NUT I-D: Unencrypted communication

Roger Price roger at rogerprice.org
Mon Jan 3 18:10:09 GMT 2022

On Mon, 3 Jan 2022, Greg Troxel wrote:

>> Should the Attachment Daemon upsd be able to defend itself against
>> unencrypted access from misconfigured or possibly hostile clients?
>
> That's an implementation question, really, but it seems obvious that it
> should be conforming for an implementation to refuse to interact in
> cleartext.  And also to choose to allow cleartext on localhost and not
> with other addresses.

I'll change the additional sentence to

 If the client does not send command STARTTLS to the Attachment Daemon
 communication continues unencrypted, however an Attachment Daemon may refuse
  unencrypted communication.

How the AD does this is an implementation matter and outside the scope of the
RFC.

Roger