[Nut-upsdev] Peppering third-party code into NUT

Greg Troxel gdt at lexort.com
Sat Oct 8 22:02:10 BST 2022

Jim Klimov via Nut-upsdev <nut-upsdev at alioth-lists.debian.net> writes:

>   PR https://github.com/networkupstools/nut/pull/1671 proposes a new
> driver, and adds unreleased pieces of libmodbus to make use of them. I did
> not double-check so far, but allegedly it is from a side branch of the
> project and under GPL.
>
>   So I have a question if this seems acceptable - on one hand, NUT is not
> the best place to maintain such code long-term; on another it already does
> house many fallback implementations of stuff to be multi-platform...

My quick reaction without reading the PR is that vendoring in code is a
serious bug, acceptable only in extreme situations.  "Somebody might
want to build nut on a platoform where it is hard to build foo" is not
IMHO a good enough reason.

I am also not inclined towards unreleased code.   The submitter should
get libmodbus to make a release, and then autoconf should check for this
at nut build time.   or really it can check now, and people can
build/install git libmodbus, or fork it, if they want.