[Nut-upsuser] Re: cannnot load drivers for a Belkin F6C800-UNV

Drew drew.kay at gmail.com
Sun Dec 4 01:22:34 UTC 2005

> Perhaps a permissions problem. Please run the driver as root, as follows:
>
> ./drivers/newhidups -u root -DD -a belkin
>
> This should either work, or produce some useable debugging output. If
> you get this to work, we can then look at how to get upsdrvctl to do
> the right thing.
>
> By the way, what OS/kernel are you running? It doesn't seem to be Linux.
> -- Peter

Did a bit more fiddling with the dev branch and this is the output I
get when I try to run the driver directly without using root.

---
yuna nut # ./drivers/newhidups -DD -a belkin
Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.1.0)

debug level is '2'
Checking device (050D/0980) (003/006)
- VendorID: 050d
- ProductID: 0980
- Manufacturer: unknown
- Product: unknown
- Serial Number: unknown
- Bus: 003
Trying to match device
Device matches
failed to claim USB device, trying 2 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 1 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
failed to claim USB device, trying 0 more time(s)...
detaching kernel driver from USB device...
failed to detach kernel driver from USB device...
trying again to claim USB device...
Unable to get HID descriptor (error sending control message: Operation
not permitted)
---

And I just figured out what's causing it. It seems hotplug is doing
something funky to my usb /proc entries.

---
yuna usb # ls -l /proc/bus/usb/*/*
<snip>
-rw-r--r--  1 root root 52 Dec  3 16:50 /proc/bus/usb/003/006
---

FIX:
yuna usb # chmod 0666 /proc/bus/usb/003/006

---
yuna usb # ls -l /proc/bus/usb/*/*
<snip>
-rw-rw-rw-  1 root root 52 Dec  3 17:17 /proc/bus/usb/003/006
---

yuna nut # ./drivers/newhidups -D -a belkin
Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.1.0)

debug level is '1'
Detected a UPS:        /UPS
Using subdriver: Belkin HID 0.1
Value: 24.000000
---

Now to figure out how to fix hotplug and I'm set. :)

-Andrew Kay