[Nut-upsuser] Powerware 5125 works ?

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at telia.com
Mon Dec 5 22:36:58 UTC 2005

Hi Carsten,

mån 2005-12-05 klockan 22:59 +0100 skrev Carsten Jensen:
> Hi there.
> At the moment I'm trying to get my HP T1500 XR (Powerware 5125) UPS to
> work with NUT.
> NUT registers that the UPS is on battery/online, but I just cant get the
> program to shut down the computer
> I'm using the original cable (thus I didn't enter anything in the
> ups.conf file)

Do you use the bcmxcp driver ?

> I'm using 2.0.2 so as far as I understand it, the BCMXCP driver should
> already be in that package.

Yes the bcmxcp driver is included in 2.0.2. But you should use the
Testing or Development branch of the cvs. The driver have been updated
to support different baud_rate and it also init the ups to run in
requested mode only.

> so bottom line.. I cannot make my computer to shutdown after x minutes
> defined in the config, even though the software registers the UPS is on
> battery.

If you use the bcmxcp driver, then the value for shutdown_delay is not
the time after it goes to battery.

It works like this. The shutdown_delay is calculated to a maximum at
the current load in the ups. If you set it to high in the config you
get a warning that the time is to long to run after low_battery.

So when it goes to battery it runs as long as the battery is not
signaling low_batt. When it gives on_batt low_batt (OB LB) then
the upsmon is signaling the system to shutdown. Then you have the
time of shutdown_delay to take the system down.

This is the same for all (i think) drivers. The thing is that you
want it to run as long as possible on battery. The line power may
return.
But if the ups go to LB it need to shutdown.

So give us some more info and as Charles say, the config files
and we help you out.

Kjell