[Nut-upsuser] Re: cannnot load drivers for a Belkin F6C800-UNV

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Nov 28 14:36:51 UTC 2005

Drew wrote:

> > Here's what you do to get the sources for the Testing branch:
> >
> > cvs -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/nut login
> > cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.alioth.debian.org:/cvsroot/nut co -r Tes=
> ting nut
> >
> > I know it works because I have a F6C800-UNV myself.
> > -- Peter
>
> Thanks,
>
> So after one false start (forgot to emerge libusb) I got the latest
> development source compiled cleanly with the newhidups driver. Set my
> ups.conf config file up as follows:
>
> ---
> [belkin]
>        driver = newhidups
>        port = /dev/ups
>        desc = "My Belkin 800VA"
> ---
>
> I've been following the install guide and it fails at this point,
> which is the same point hidups failed as well.
>
> ---
> yuna nut # /usr/local/ups/bin/upsdrvctl start
> Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.0.3-pre1
> Network UPS Tools: New USB/HID UPS driver 0.28 (2.0.3-pre1)
>
> No matching USB/HID UPS found
> Driver failed to start (exit status=3D1)
> ---

Perhaps a permissions problem. Please run the driver as root, as follows:

./drivers/newhidups -u root -DD -a belkin

This should either work, or produce some useable debugging output. If
you get this to work, we can then look at how to get upsdrvctl to do
the right thing.

By the way, what OS/kernel are you running? It doesn't seem to be Linux.
-- Peter