[Nut-upsuser] Dry-joint to serial converter for use with NUT

Damon Pullen Damon.Pullen at dier.tas.gov.au
Mon Oct 10 03:34:33 UTC 2005

Hi All,

This is my first post to this list so please forgive me if this topic has been mentioned before (I had a short browse of the last few months and didn't find anything)

My Questions - with a little bit of info about our setup first

We have just purchased a pair of MGE Galaxy 3000 UPS's and have them all ready to go in a parallel configuration. The NUT compatibility doco seems to suggest that the NUT SNMP drivers for the Galaxy 3000 are still being trailed but that the serial drives for the Galaxy series are supported.  That's fine because we're quite content to use a serial link between the UPS's and the nutd server.  The install of the UPS's has been accompanied by a complete refurbishment of our power distribution systems and we are presently considering better ways of achieving user-initiated emergency shutdown of the whole computer room.   It occurred to us that a neat way to achieve a smart emergency shutdown of the computer room (instead of simply cutting the power at the distribution panel) would be to implement a "virtual" UPS interface alongside the two Galaxy 3000 interfaces.  In other words - our plan is to set up a button outside the computer room that sends an "on battery - initiate shutdown" serial signal to nutd which is monitoring it as a third "Virtual" UPS using a standard NUT Galaxy series serial driver.  The shutdown rules for this virtual UPS would be much more urgent than those configured for the galaxy UPS (i.e. no lead time etc).  so my questions are these.

1) Is this a good idea?  (i.e. Are there any pitfalls with this approach? -  or can emergency shutdown be done more elegantly another way?)

2) Does anyone know of a dry-joint to serial interface module (i.e. a curcuit that allows the connection of two wires to result in a configurable serial interface output).  Ideally a commercial solution would be best as it would obviate a heap of testing.

3) Any other comments

In advance,  Thanks!

Damon Pullen
DIER (Tasmania)