[Nut-upsuser] TrippLite/Compiling on FreeBSD

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 01:57:25 UTC 2005

On 9/26/05, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:
> debug level is '5'
> found 0 (-1)
> No Tripp Lite USB HID UPS found

Apparently, libusb couldn't find any devices.

What happens if you add "-u root" to the command line?

Also, prepending USB_DEBUG=3 to the command may shed some light on
what libusb is doing.

> So I'm curious about a few things...  I'm not at all familiar with libusb.
> I do have 0.1.10a installed, which seems to be the latest.  Your earlier
> post mentioned something about making libusb aware of the TrippLite.  If
> I'm running the current version, should that be an issue?

I don't have first-hand experience with libusb in *BSD, but from what
I can gather, the uhid driver can block libusb access to HID-class
devices. (I wouldn't be surprised; this happens in OS X, and to a
lesser extent, in Linux as well.)

There is a thread on the libusb list now (also referring to 0.1.10a):

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=8308313&forum_id=5425

but nothing conclusive has been posted.

--
- Charles Lepple