[Nut-upsuser] Using an APC UPS through USB on SuSE 9.2

Marshall Skare marshall at skartisu.net
Tue Sep 27 02:58:11 UTC 2005

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been covered before, but I didn’t see a way to
search the mailing list archives.  I’ve attached an APC ES-725 to my SuSE
9.2 box using the supplied USB cable.  Looking through dmesg, I see that the
OS recognizes the UPS.  The problem I’ve got is mapping the UPS to a
specific device within the OS so I can point NUT to it.  It looks like the
UPS is somewhere within /proc/bus/usb, but I can’t quite make the connection
to it.  Here are some likely clues from the dmesg output:

usb 1-2: new low speed USB device using address 2
usb 1-2: Product: Back-UPS ES 725 FW:802.n2.D USB FW:n2
usb 1-2: Manufacturer: APC
usb 1-2: SerialNumber: QB0347343621
usbcore: registered new driver hiddev
hiddev96: USB HID v1.10 Device [APC Back-UPS ES 725 FW:802.n2.D USB FW:n2]
on usb-0000:00:10.0-2

Can someone point me in the right direction?  The SuSE support I’ve been
able to find thus far hasn’t helped much.

Thanks!