[Nut-upsuser] Re: F6H500ukUNV working with fentonups driver

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Mon Apr 3 09:28:28 UTC 2006

Hi Patrick,

2006/4/2, Patrick Beard <p.beard at blueyonder.co.uk>:
> Hi Arnaud,
>
> Just wanted to let you know the the Belkin F6H500ukUNV is working for me
> with the fentonups driver.
>
> http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatSectionView.process?IWAction=Load&Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=202840
>
> I originally tried it with the genericups driver with upstype=7 but this
> gave me 'On battery' 'Low Battery' all the time. I went through all the
> upstype settings but none worked.
> I then tried the 'bestups' driver but this never worked.
>
> However the fentonups driver does seem to work for me. It correctly
> identifies online and on battery events. It also recognises the 'Low
> Battery' event.
> One thing I have noticed is that it always reports the battery charge as
> 100% - but this might be down to the ups. I've never used this type
> before so don't know if it does report its battery charge.

imho, this is due to the fact that fentonups has a lookup table for
each models, defining the way to compute some values, like
battery.charge...

> I tested it by pulling the supply to the ups. It got the 'on  and then
> the 'low battery' upsmon then shutdown my system. The ups however
> remained on.

the ups shutoff (hardware ups shutdown) seems not to be working.
Carlos might have more ideas on the cause...

> I'm using the Ubuntu Dapper 2.0.3-4build1 nut package
>
> The Belkin is connected using the serial cable but this is through a
> usb/serial convertor. so the port is /dev/ttyUSB0
>
> The fentonups driver identifies the Belkin as 'BELKIN PowerPure
> aster' (Not a mis-type it is 'aster')

probably a fentonups bug (I've previously seen that kind of truncation...)

> Anyway - I just wanted to let you know and also thankyou for you work on
> nut.

as there are chances that the fentonups will also be replaced by the
megatec driver, can you give a try to it with the NUT 2.1 in
subversion:
http://eu1.networkupstools.org/source.html

@Carlos: can you check to update the compat list, and further testing
with Patrick?