[Nut-upsuser] Gentoo Ultra USB UPS

Jonathan Dion dion.jonathan at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 06:44:50 UTC 2006

Hello again,

I'm sorry I am new on this mailing list, so I didn't think to "reply
to all" and not just "reply". So I post against my response :

8<-----sniping

8<--------sniping a little more

> > No matching USB/HID UPS found
> > Driver failed to start (exit status=1)

8<--------sniping a little more

I looked a little in the file, and it appears that your UPS won't
probably be claimed by any subdriver of newhidups. (manufacturer ID
0d9f don't seem to be claimed in any subdriver). <= Yes, it is what
happens ( the "No matching" thing)

If it is the case, you have two possibilities :

 - There is an existant driver that don't claim you UPS yet but that could
support it.
To know that, run :
newhidups -DD -u root -x generic -x vendorid=0d9f auto
Look what is exposed, and see if another drivers expose the same
variable. If it exist, modify the claim function so it claim your UPS
(and if it work, please send us a patch ^_^)

 - There is no existant driver that can manage your UPS. The only
solution is to make another subdriver (it is no really hard, you can
base your code on existing subdriver.).

In the two case, you will probably find
http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/nut/trunk/docs/hid-subdrivers.txt?op=file&rev=0&sc=0
of interest

But if it is a simple USB-to-serial converter as Charles suggested it,
your probleme is worse, as newhidups will not be able to support your
UPS and it would probably need a new driver.

The answer will appear with "newhidups -DD -u root -x generic -x
vendorid=0d9f auto". Can you send us its result ?

Cheers,

Jonathan Dion