[Nut-upsuser] Networked APC

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 18:05:17 UTC 2006

On 8/1/06, Matthew Isleb <misleb at pnca.edu> wrote:
> I was wondering if there was any support in NUT for networked APC
> UPS's. All the configuration examples I see in the documentation are
> for USB/Serial connections to the UPS. I could mess around with
> serial/USB cables, but I'd really rather talk to the UPS over the
> network. I don't want all my servers relying on a single machine with
> a serial connection.

Does your APC UPS support SNMP? There is a 'snmp-ups' driver that
understands several manufacturers' MIB formats, including APC's, I
believe.

You still may end up with a single point of failure, though, since you
probably only want one machine commanding the UPS to power down. (A
data center could avoid this with dual-input power supplies fed from
separate UPSes.) Someone else who is more familiar with snmp-ups may
have more insight into this.

--
- Charles Lepple