[Nut-upsuser] Networked APC

Matthew Isleb misleb at pnca.edu
Tue Aug 1 18:20:01 UTC 2006

On Aug 1, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:

> On 8/1/06, Matthew Isleb <misleb at pnca.edu> wrote:
>> I was wondering if there was any support in NUT for networked APC
>> UPS's. All the configuration examples I see in the documentation are
>> for USB/Serial connections to the UPS. I could mess around with
>> serial/USB cables, but I'd really rather talk to the UPS over the
>> network. I don't want all my servers relying on a single machine with
>> a serial connection.
>
> Does your APC UPS support SNMP? There is a 'snmp-ups' driver that
> understands several manufacturers' MIB formats, including APC's, I
> believe.

Cool, I'll give that a try when my new UPS comes in.

> You still may end up with a single point of failure, though, since you
> probably only want one machine commanding the UPS to power down. (A
> data center could avoid this with dual-input power supplies fed from
> separate UPSes.) Someone else who is more familiar with snmp-ups may
> have more insight into this.

Eh? Why would I want to command the *UPS* to power down? The UPS will
power down if and when the battery goes dead.

Or did I misunderstand that? I want all my servers to power down
using the UPS itself as the "master" instead of picking a server as a
master.

-matthew