[Nut-upsuser] Networked APC

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 19:10:15 UTC 2006

2006/8/1, Matthew Isleb <misleb at pnca.edu>:

> On Aug 1, 2006, at 11:05 AM, Charles Lepple wrote:
>
> > On 8/1/06, Matthew Isleb <misleb at pnca.edu> wrote:
> >> I was wondering if there was any support in NUT for networked APC
> >> UPS's. All the configuration examples I see in the documentation are
> >> for USB/Serial connections to the UPS. I could mess around with
> >> serial/USB cables, but I'd really rather talk to the UPS over the
> >> network. I don't want all my servers relying on a single machine with
> >> a serial connection.
> >
> > Does your APC UPS support SNMP? There is a 'snmp-ups' driver that
> > understands several manufacturers' MIB formats, including APC's, I
> > believe.

right, snmp-ups supports powernet mib.
note that it will be autodetected, if your comm. card is snmp compliant.

> Cool, I'll give that a try when my new UPS comes in.
>
> > You still may end up with a single point of failure, though, since you
> > probably only want one machine commanding the UPS to power down. (A
> > data center could avoid this with dual-input power supplies fed from
> > separate UPSes.) Someone else who is more familiar with snmp-ups may
> > have more insight into this.
>
> Eh? Why would I want to command the *UPS* to power down? The UPS will
> power down if and when the battery goes dead.
>
> Or did I misunderstand that? I want all my servers to power down
> using the UPS itself as the "master" instead of picking a server as a
> master.

that requires snmp-ups to register in the agent.
and I've never done this part (I've originaly developed it with MGE
sponsorship, but never got time nor motivation to finish this...)
And without this feature, there are chance that the UPS ignores the
shutoff (UPS shutdown) procedure... snmp-ups so currently act as an
NMS (network management system, like HPOV, Unicenter TNG, ...), and
not in manager mode!

Arnaud