[Nut-upsuser] Tripp Lite Smart1000LCD driver problem

Peter Selinger selinger at mathstat.dal.ca
Mon Aug 7 20:49:05 UTC 2006

Phil DeBoest wrote:

> Peter Selinger wrote:
> > I have just committed some changes to the development branch that
> > hopefully solve this problem. Now I retrieve the HID descriptor in two
> > different ways, and when in doubt, use the second value (the same as
> > "lsusb"). I have also made libusb_open() more tolerant in case the
> > actual report descriptor is shorter than expected; so this should no
> > longer fail.
> >
> > Phil, James, Justin, could you test this? Thanks, -- Peter
>
> Thanks Peter (and Charles)! That seemed to do the trick. The driver now
> loads and upsd is able to retrieve information from it. Some of the
> information seems a bit suspect, though. For example, it says the
> battery voltage is 0, and, even less likely, the output voltage is
> 177.0. (I'm in the US, so nominal is 120). Surely it wouldn't be
> indicating peak voltage instead of RMS? Since the computers connected to
> the UPS continue to function without smoking, I doubt the output voltage
> is actually that high.
>
> The display on the UPS itself indicates everything is normal. Is this
> likely a parsing issue, or should I investigate further with the UPS
> itself? I could hook it up to a Windows box, install the software that
> came with it, and see what it reads. Any other suggestions?
>
> Here's the output of upsc:
> battery.charge: 100
> battery.type: PbAc
> battery.voltage: 0.0
> battery.voltage.nominal: 12.0
> driver.name: newhidups
> driver.parameter.port: auto
> driver.version: 2.1.0
> driver.version.data: TrippLite HID 0.1 (experimental)
> driver.version.internal: 0.30
> input.frequency: 59.8
> input.voltage: 120.1
> input.voltage.nominal: 120
> output.frequency.nominal: 60
> output.voltage: 177.0
> output.voltage.nominal: 120
> ups.beeper.status: enabled
> ups.delay.reboot: 65535
> ups.delay.shutdown: 65535
> ups.mfr: Tripp Lite
> ups.model: TRIPP LITE UPS
> ups.power.nominal: 1000
> ups.serial: 692195 A
> ups.status: OL CHRG
>
> Phil

OK, this is good, now we are getting into fixing small details. I have
just committed some changes to the trunk that improve debugging
messages and make it easier to get the information I need. Please
update to the new version, and then run (as root):

drivers/newhidups -DDD -u root your_ups at localhost >& /tmp/logfile

After 2 seconds, you can hit CTRL-C. Please send the resulting log
file.  Note: this is one of the rare times when I actually want to see
the output of "-DDD". Normally, one should only use "-DD" on this
list, unless specifically requested otherwise.

Thanks! -- Peter