[Nut-upsuser] choosing a UPS (in the United States)

Charles Lepple clepple at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 02:09:15 UTC 2006

On 8/8/06, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> Charles Lepple wrote:
> > On 8/8/06, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org> wrote:
> >> I do a bunch of "kindness of strangers" hosting in my basement and my
> >> three kVA apc unit died recently.  In looking around, it looked like
> >> Belkin was a reasonable low-end replacement
> >
> > IMHO, "low-end" means something to filter power blips less than 10
> > seconds long. That's what I would use for a desktop machine, but not
> > any sort of hosting (even if it's not mission-critical).
>
> 10 seconds?  My experience has been about 10 minutes.

Yeah, I wasn't knocking the APC unit. What I meant is that if you go
to a computer store and ask for a "low-end UPS", they will most likely
point you to something that probably doesn't have a predictable
runtime, and won't have all the monitoring bells and whistles.

I guess my original thought was that you don't want to go too cheap
initially. Sounds like you're on the right track, though.

--
- Charles Lepple