[Nut-upsuser] choosing a UPS (in the United States)

Arnaud Quette aquette.dev at gmail.com
Wed Aug 9 08:55:32 UTC 2006

Hi Eric,

2006/8/8, Eric S. Johansson <esj at harvee.org>:

> I do a bunch of "kindness of strangers" hosting in my basement and my
> three kVA apc unit died recently.  In looking around, it looked like
> Belkin was a reasonable low-end replacement for a few machines.  Then I
> read this mailing list after I purchased one and was gifted another.  It
> looks like people don't like Belkin.  ;-)
>
> So the question is what's a good UPS for running for five machines, 12
> disk drives, and seven CPUs (one being a DEC Alpha)?  No, I haven't
> figured out the power budget.  When I take things down this weekend, I
> will be measuring the power consumption of all the devices.
>
> Power outages around here tend to be fairly frequent but short-lived
> (i.e. under five minutes) as the trees brush across power lines and then
> the circus reset.
>
> Given this kind of power fluctuation, I think I am happy with roughly a
> five or 10 minute runtime with fairly quick shutdown triggers.
>
> assuming that the Belkin units are uncontrollable because the firmware
> and hardware implementation is just awful, what is recommended and
> available here in the states?
>
> thanks for sharing your wisdom.

I think most have been said about the relation between NUT and MGE ;-)

Depending upon your exact power needs, and setup (single vs multi UPS,
rackmount, ...), you might prefer Pulsar Evolution or Pulsar EX RT. If you
need a bit more power and features / QOS, I would recommend the new Pulsar
MX.

You can get a bit of help to make your choice using the UPS Selector:
http://www.mgeups.com/selector/ups/index.php?lang=us

If you have more questions, don't hesitate to contact me back.
But as told, I'll be on holidays for 2 weeks as of tomorrow...

Arnaud