[Nut-upsuser] Will MGE-UPS Ellipse USBS auto shutdown?

Jonathan Dion dion.jonathan at gmail.com
Sun Aug 13 05:12:09 UTC 2006

Hi

On 8/12/06, Daniel O'Connor <doconnor at gsoft.com.au> wrote:
> On Saturday 12 August 2006 21:21, Ben wrote:
> > I guessed this meant that if I removed power, the system would
> > shutdown when the battery hit 30% (which it did) and the UPS would
> > power down 300 seconds after it reached 30% - (which it didn't, it
> > just stayed on and kept beeping every 10 secs).
> >
> > I thought setting 'offdelay' would get me out of having to use
> > 'upsdrvctl shutdown' - but it doesn't seem to be working. Is there any
> > other way to avoid using this command?
>
> No.. How do you expect the UPS to know when to turn off if the computer
> doesn't tell it? The delay stuff is there to give the system time to finish
> shutting down after it has told the UPS to power off. (As well as ensuring it
> does power cycle the load if the AC comes back before the UPS is off)
>
> --

It don't work this way. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think I
remember it work this way :

ondelay and off delay are sort of timers. When you set them, they
_both_ start decrementing. So the ups will shutdown itself after
offdelay second, and when the power is restored, the UPS will go up
after (ondelay - offdelay) second. So be sure to set ondealy greater
than offdelay !

In your case, to do what you want, you'll have to set ondelay two time
greater than offdelay.

What I don't know is if the UPS start counting ondealy again just
after power restoration or after it reach the low battery value. You
can test it easilly. In the first case, be sure to set a ondelay value
sufficient enough to let the UPS the time to charge.

Cheer,

Jonathan