[Nut-upsuser] How to get serial port ownership to survive reboot

Kjell Claesson kjell.claesson at telia.com
Mon Aug 14 06:03:16 UTC 2006

Hi Rich,
sön 2006-08-13 klockan 19:16 -0500 skrev Rich Osman:
> I'll read TFM, but I can't find it.
>
> My nut install is working fine now that Kjell pointed out my case error
> and I finished configging it. The only problem that remains is that the
> serial port mode and ownership gets reset on reboot.
>
> I've Googled everything I can think of and can't find out how to change
> it permanently.  Is my only option to add the chown/chmod commands to
> the boot scripts?

One of the easy way to do this is to add the nut user to the tty group.
Add nut (If you run it as nut) to /etc/group and the tty line.

I think that Suse 10.1 is using udev so that is also a way of doing it.
You may alter the rules so it belong to nut.

Devfs is obsolete on new Linux systems.

Regards
Kjell